The nutty-named company best known for its slippers and socks has taken the wraps off a new line of footwear that will be introduced publicly at the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market in January 2016. Slipped into its Fall/Winter 2016 Collection, the Acorn Maine-Made Slipper Sock is a limited-edition item celebrating the company’s 40th anniversary. Acorn‘s entire Fall/Winter 2016 Collection includes dozens of new items, just 10 of which are below. The roster, which is focused on keeping your feet extra warm, will include more slipper socks than the company’s ever previously released.
This is great news for several reasons. For one, although not every item in Acorn’s Fall/Winter 2015 Collection is made in Maine, it’s nice to see the limited-edition Slipper Sock get a nod toward made-in-the-USA values with “each pair … individually hand-sewn by a small group of Maine shoemakers.” For another, those of us with Raynaud’s syndrome or whose feet get cold very easily should be excited that Acorn’s working on a new line of footwear with some additional attention to warmth potential. Third, and on a personal level, I’ve been a fan and owner of Acorn items since the 1980s when the astronauts used Acorn slipper socks on the space shuttle. It’s great to see something that (for me) began as a cool novelty and occasional-use item get more focus on keeping my feet warm.
The company has shared one image of its new Acorn Maine-Made Slipper Sock. Over the years the overall look and feel of Acorn’s slipper socks hasn’t changed much, but things seem a bit different with the new Maine-made slipper sock. Not only are the toe and heel areas reinforced, but the overall style looks more durable and a bit thicker. The Maine slipper socks will come in two styles, both shown above: “grey ragg wool” and “red ragg and blue wool.”
All told, Acorn plans to use the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market show to showcase “several other new styles, colors and patterns” in its Fall/Winter 2016 Collection. In addition to the above photos of the Acorn Maine-Made Slipper Sock, the company shared some additional details about 10 of the new items headed your way next year.
- Maine Slipper Sock (Unisex) – This premium slipper celebrates the forty-year history of the slipper sock. Each pair is individually hand-sewn by a small group of Maine shoemakers. The rand and sole are crafted of full-grain Rushmore bison leather, super premium leather that is tough, supple and has a beautifully textured grain. Acorn also added some new updates, including a toe guard and heel loop. The bison leather outsole features founder David Quinn’s signature. Available in grey ragg wool or red, ragg, or blue wool. MSRP: $89
- Indoor/ Outdoor Slouch Boot (Women) – With a premium quality and relaxed style, the 13’’ Indoor/Outdoor Slouch Boot has a fun mix of textures, colors and indoor/outdoor soles for extra versatility. Available in charcoal cable knit, tribal tan knit, buff popcorn, or red cable knit. MSRP: $65
- Boiled Wool Henna Scuff – The new Henna features boiled wool and a soft knit lining with a skid-resistant rubber sole. The hand-stitched embroidery was designed in Maine and the fully contoured PU insole provides maximum support. Available in lava stone, juniper, or scarlet. MSRP: $65
- Shorty Slipper Sock – This 6’’ inch slipper sock is the new optimized design with leather toe cap/ heel guard that improves durability and fit. Made with genuine suede sole, the Shorty Slipper Sock is available in cobalt ragg wool, red ragg wool, or grey ragg wool. MSRP: $50.00
- Acorn Moc Ragg – Adding Acorn heritage ragg wool to the bestselling Acorn Moc profile, comes this new and improved slipper. The thick berber linings wrap the foot in coziness and the premium multi-layer Cloud Cushion footbed delivers cloud-like comfort with every step. Available in red ragg wool or grey ragg wool. MSRP: $45
- Sneaker Scuff – For indoor and outdoor wear, the new, go-anywhere scuff features an athletic-inspired dual density insole. The durable and stain repellent vegan suede and Italian wool uppers and linings offer cushioning for all day wear. These lightweight sneaker-inspired outsole has a rugged tread for traction. Available in tribal grey or tribal tan. MSRP: $65
- Slopeside Boot – The classic bootie is made with colorful hand stitched detailing, stain and water repelling genuine suede, and heritage ragg wool uppers. The 100% shearling lining naturally wicks moisture and regulates temperature. This outdoor or indoor boot is equipped with a rubber outsole for secure footing. Available in caribou, birch, and ice blue. MSRP: $89
- Slopeside Moc- With 100% shearling wool lining to naturally wick moisture and regulate temperature, this classic moccasin features colorful-hand stitched detail and water/stain resistant suede and ragg wool uppers. Available in caribou, ice violet, birch, and ice blue. MSRP: $79
- Indoor/ Outdoor Slouch Boot (Men) – With a premium quality and relaxed style, the 11’’ Indoor/Outdoor Slouch Boot has a fun mix of textures, colors and indoor/outdoor soles for extra versatility. Available in grey ragg wool or charcoal ragg wool. MSRP: $69
- Men’s Sneaker Moc – Reimagined for an active lifestyle, the durable and stain repellent vegan suede and Italian wool uppers and linings offer cushioning for all day wear. These lightweight sneaker- inspired outsole has a rugged tread for traction. Available in weathered brown cord, grey canvas, or bark canvas. MSRP: $65
The MSRPs above seem slightly higher than Acorn’s traditional pricing, though some of that may be material-related (extra warm) in addition to R&D related. As for the Acorn Maine-Made Slipper Sock, some of the premium is likely because it’s made in the USA and it’s a limited edition.
Most of Acorn’s Fall/Winter 2016 collection is predictably focused on adults, though the Maine-based footwear company has managed to include about a dozen items for children. Since my kids suffer from Raynaud’s too, poor souls, I intend to learn more about these and other aspects and will share the info as I learn it. With any luck I’ll get my hands — er, feet — on the new Acorn Maine-Made Slipper Sock and several other items from Acorn’s Fall/Winter 2016 Collection for review purposes.